Vegan Meringue with Berry Coulis
Meringue without egg? Here’s how –
Made using Plum & Vanilla Custard Coconut Yoghurt from Raglan Food Co.
½ cup of chilled aquafaba (leftover chickpea brine, chilled for a few hours before use)
2 tbsp corn flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups frozen berries
½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Raglan Coconut Yoghurt – Plum & Vanilla Custard
1. Preheat your oven to 150ºC and line your baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle tray with 1 tbsp of the corn flour.
2. Beat the aquafaba with an electric mixer on high for approximately 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
3. Add in the vanilla. Then add in the caster sugar slowly while beating for another 10 minutes until you have a glossy meringue.
4. Fold in the remaining 1 tbsp of corn flour.
5. Dollop peaks onto your baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 130ºC and bake for a further 1 hour or until the meringues have developed a hard shell.
6. Turn off the oven and leave meringues for a few hours with the oven door open.
7. For the berry coulis; bring the berries and sugar to a boil on your stovetop. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens.
8. Press through a sieve and stir in lemon juice.
9. Now it’s time to assemble; in a bowl place some Plum & Vanilla Custard coconut yoghurt, followed by a meringue. Drizzle over your berry coulis.
10. Serve and enjoy!
Thank you to Doreen over at @nzfoodpics for this vegan meringue recipe!